The Saracens Head
The Saracens Head was towards the south end of the High Street
opposite Fish Street
and closed Sept 2002 Part of the site has been developed by Thameside Homes Ltd and is called Saracens Mews
Atelier Salon And Spa
have renovated the above building and had their official opening on 26 Nov 2007. Both interior and exterior are much improved.
The Saracens Head name is very old, possibly back to the Crusades. Kept by Thomas Symm in 1530 In 1626 it belonged to the manor of St Amphiballs. In the 18th century Friendly Societies formed to look after infirm and sick members. Such a society was at the Saracens head in 1794. Thomas Abbot was here in 1851. In the eighteenth century mention is made of a gatehouse and a yard called Dunghill Hole.
Before closure the pub looked like this: -
See also: Public Houses
, Redbourn In Bloom
, Redbourn Village
, Bygone Public Houses Of Redbourn
-- Martin Cleaver
- Nov 2007