Fish Street is off the lower end of the High Street
opposite Atelier Salon And Spa
and leads to Redbourn Common
. Jenni's Sandwich Bar
is at the High Street
Possibly having this name because Hester Fish and family lived in what became Fish Street Farm. In 1455 Thomas Fyssh was a landowner. The Fish Street area may have been the site of the Priory Chapel.
Christ Church Redbourn
, (Formerly Mount Zion Evangelical Church),is mid way along the street.
The present Christ Church Redbourn
dates from 1807 when the Fish Street Independents enlarged their chapel which had previously been a barn and cottages. A dispute amongst the congregation led to the formation of the Mount Zion Chapel in Lybury Lane
. (A further dispute amongst the Independents created the Crown Street
Tabernacle.) When the Lybury Lane
chapel was declared unsafe in 1969 the congregation moved back to the old Independent Chapel in Fish Street which was then being used as a library, having been leased to the County Council in 1948. The present library is in Lamb Lane
. The name changed to Redbourn Baptist Church , then becoming Christ Church Redbourn in October 2007.
The old Gas Works was built on the site of a stagnent pond and waste ground in 1861. The houses by the entrance to The Park
Estate are where the gasometers stood.
The Beer House was in Fish Street.
See also Houses And Streets
, Geof Webbs Redbourn Collection
, Redbourn History The Saracens Pub